Women, Infants, Children (WIC) Program
The Women, Infants, Children (WIC) program sponsored by Dearborn County Hospital serves participants in Dearborn, Ohio, Ripley and Switzerland counties. There are four clinic locations for your convenience. The WIC Program is a nutrition education program serving pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women as well as infants and children up to age of five years. To be eligible, applicants must meet income guidelines and have a nutritional or medical need. The WIC program provides supplemental foods for those who qualify.
The WIC program offers the following services:
- Screening and Assessment – A health professional (Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse or Nutritionist) assesses and makes recommendations based on nutritional and/or medical data collected.
- Nutrition Education – The WIC program provides individual nutritional education during each WIC certification. Nutrition counseling is provided by a Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse or a Nutritionist. Participants who are determined to be high risk are counseled by a Registered Dietitian. All participants are offered additional nutrition education while participating in WIC.
- Breastfeeding - WIC provides services to promote, support, and increase the incidence and duration of breastfeeding.
- Physician Referrals – WIC is a referral agency. Participant’s needs are assessed during certification and referrals are given when the need arises.
- Nutritional Foods – WIC provides supplemental foods of high nutritional value.
- Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program – WIC implements the Farmers' Market Nutrition program by offering special checks that are redeemed at approved Farmers' Markets for locally grown produce. Available to WIC participants in Dearborn and Ripley counties.
For more information, please call 800-456-0492 or 812-654-1482.